What is the RYA Radar course?
International regulations state that if you have radar on board your yacht, you must know how to use it.
The aim of the RYA Radar course is to teach students to use small boat radar to assist decision making in navigation, pilotage & collision avoidance.
This 1 day course is popular on both sailing & motor boats, It is a valuable aid for navigation & collision avoidance.
Remember – A radar is only useful in the hands of a knowledgeable operator.
- General safety precautions in using radar equipment
- Basic understanding of radar wave propagation
- Conditions giving rise to abnormal radar wave propagation
- Radar Set up procedure, functions & correct use of controls
- Radar set components
- Target definition & discrimination
- Passive & active radar reflectors
- Use of Radar for navigation & collision avoidance
- Accuracy in range & bearing
Pre-course experience / requirements