What is the Yachtmaster Sail Training Package?
Palma Sea School has developed an intensive 2 weeks RYA Yachtmaster Training Package combining both the RYA Yachtmaster Theory and the practical preparation week, aiming to prepare you for the rigorous RYA/MCA Yachtmaster practical exam (Coastal or Offshore).
The 6 day shore-based training aims to prepare you for 3 exam papers in a classroom environment with an experienced RYA Yachtmaster Instructor. We endeavour to run small group course to maximise your learning, consequently your chances of success.
Your theory course will be followed by 5 days of practical training all geared up towards your practical exam. The practical training is followed by a 48/72hr window dedicated to examination conducted by an external RYA/MCA examiner.
Day 1 – 5 will focus on the theory
This is an advanced course in navigation & meteorology for candidates for the Yachtmaster Coastal & Offshore Certificate. Our instructors will take their time with you teaching you chart plotting, course to steer and secondary ports, as well as tidal calculations, weather systems and collision regulations. The magnetic compass, Tides, Tidal streams, Buoyage, Lights, Pilotage, GPS and chart plotters, Echo sounders, Logs (speed and distance measuring), Deck log, Meteorology, Rules of the road, Safety at sea, Navigation in restricted visibility, Passage planning, Marine environment. The course is taught over 40 hours with three exam papers.
Day 6 will cover the theory exams
Day 7 -11 will focus on putting the Yachtmaster theory into practice
Passage planning, preparation for sea, pilotage, passage making and ability as a skipper, radar, boat handling, adverse weather conditions, emergency situations
Day 12-14: Practical examination
All examiners carry out the exams in their own style; however, you can expect a mix of practical tasks enabling you to demonstrate your ability to manoeuvre the vessel and respond to emergency situations such as a man-over-board. You can also expect a discussion with the examiner who will quiz your knowledge on topics such as meteorology, collision regulations, passage planning and so forth.
What’s included in my package?
- A classroom and all necessary teaching aids
- A dedicated qualified and experienced RYA Yachtmaster Instructor
For Practical training:
- 5 days practical training on board an MCA coded 46ft Bavaria sailing yacht
- Maximum 4 students per course.
- Fuel for duration of the training week
- We book the examiner and arrange the exam session.
- We provide the vessel for the duration of the exam and fuel (all included in course cost).
- ALL EXAMINER EXPENSES ARE INCLUDED + FREE USE OF THE BOAT FOR THE EXAM
Additional costs to consider:
- Food provision for your training and exam
- Accommodation during your course
- The exam fees which are set by the RYA and paid directly to them when filling out your application form. The exam fees are as follow:
- Yachtmaster Offshore: £231
- Yachtmaster Coastal: £200